Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Parenting involves a lot of but(t)s

Where has the time gone?!



I have sat down at this desk so many times over the past month to pay bills, look at pictures, and work, and only a handful of times have I thought, "I'd really like to blog."  When those times did hit, something would happen to pull me away and with my new mommy brain I would forget what I wanted to say.  

At this very moment Nathanael is taking a nap and I'm not able to fall asleep, so I guess I will blog.
So I guess the first thing to update you on is that I have a son (guess that means I have to stop writing in pink)!  He was born on January 21st, so this Sunday he will be five months old!  I cannot believe it.

One of the reasons that it has been so hard to sit down and write is because if I'm going to write about being a mom, then I want to be honest with you, and if I'm being honest with you, then I need you to know that being a parent is hard work.  It is harder than I ever imagined it would be.  Because of this when I sit down and write about what my life looks like right now, it seems to come off like a list of complaints, which is not what I want to communicate at all!  Therefore, I have decided that if I'm being honest, parenting involves a lot of but(t)s.

Yes, there is the obvious butt that you are all thinking about, and yes, that stinks, but I wanted to talk about some other buts with parenting.

Being a mom is a very hard job, BUT it's the best job I have ever had!
Nathanael demands a lot of attention BUT I'm glad that it's me that he wants.
My son doesn't like to go to sleep, even when he is exhausted, and this causes him to cry a lot, BUT when he does fall asleep it makes me so much more thankful that he is getting his rest.
It hurts my heart and makes me frustrated when Nathanael cries and is inconsolable, BUT one smile and I forget all of that.
I am exhausted, overwhelmed, sleep-deprived, drowning is housework, BUT Nathanael makes it all worth it.

What else is there to say?  Parenting is hard, challenging, frustrating, BUT it is also amazing, exciting, fulfilling, and brings me so much joy.  And I just need to remember that this is just the season.  He won't cry forever and he won't want to snuggle with me forever, so I just need to take the crying and the snuggles together because before long everything will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment