Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I'm Losing Control


I realized this morning that pregnancy is preparing me to be a parent.  I am the kind of person who likes to be in control.  I like to have a plan and stick as close to that plan as possible.  I can be flexible and change my plan, even though it frustrates me, but I like to be the one in control of that.

With pregnancy, I have no control.  I have no control over how I feel day to day, I have no control over what foods I’m actually going to want to eat.  I have no control over how tired I am.  I have no control over growing my child, at this point.  Sure I can eat well and exercise, but in general I have no control over what my body is doing. 

For example, I plan to sleep 9 hours so I can get a lot of work done the next day.  I end up waking up twice to go to the bathroom and a countless number of times to get comfortable, and then I wake up with a migraine that lasts the rest of the day.  See?  No control.

I think this is one way that pregnancy is preparing me to be a parent.  When this baby is born, I will have no control.  I will literally have no control over when my water breaks and I go into labor.  I will have no control over when the baby starts crying.  I will have no control over when the baby wants to eat. 
 
Pregnancy is preparing me for a very long season of not being in control.  It will be an adventure, that I am sure of, so I guess my plan will have to be “go with the flow because it’s out of your control”.

No comments:

Post a Comment